Keeping Time with The Big Band Jazz Machine It’s About Time CD Track Notes
1. Perdido- Juan Tizol’s Classic Jazz Standard and great arrangement by Chris Braymen. I first heard this chart 30+ years ago played by the now defunct San Francisco Big Band, “Full Faith & Credit”. Our version features David Castel De Oro’s tenor and the trombone of David Murray.
2. American Gothic- By the late Bob Berg and arranged by Mike Crotty is a showcase for the stellar tenor sax of Steve Steinberg. A great modern work of power and intensity. Bob was truly a giant of jazz whose artistry and legacy will continue to endure.
3. Some Other Time- Composed by Leonard Bernstein, originally from the Broadway musical, “On The Town” and arranged by Chris Braymen. This features the beautiful vocal artistry of Janet Hammer and sensitive piano of Steve Sibley. The first time the band read this chart I knew it would be included on the CD.
4. The Salt Shaker- Having a composer on our staff is a real treat. Being associated with Chris Braymen is an honor , a privilege and a blessing that I’ve waited 30+ years for. The Salt Shaker is one of his original charts that he wrote while living in Salt Lake City Utah.It features Steve Steinberg, the awesome guitar of Dean Brown(Brecker Bros, Billy Cobham, etc) a solid drum solo by Charlie McGhee and great Latin percussion provided by Bernie “Bernardo” Dresel (Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band, Brian Setzer, etc)
5. Go Way Moon- This is an original by my good friend and San Diego native son, Bill Cantos (Sergio Mendes, Herb Alpert, Burt Bacharach, etc) Bill does the keyboard work on this as well. It features Janet Hammer and Nathan Fry doing some excellent vocals, Ella Steinberg on flugelhorn and Bill Cantos on piano.
6.-Four On Six- The classic Wes Montgomery standard, arranged by Alan Baylock. It features Dean Brown’s exciting guitar pyrotechnics and a guitar and saxophone section soli of the actual Wes Montgomery solo that is simply off the hook!!
7.-Sally “O”- Composed by the late German composer/bandleader, Peter Herbolzheimer. This is the recording debut in North America of this stunning ballad that features alto saxophonist extraordinaire, Eric Marienthal (Chick Corea, Jeff Lorber, Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band, etc)
8- That Old Black Magic-Masterfully arranged by Rob Vuono, Jr. It features our great male vocalist, Nathan Fry and a nice trumpet solo by Mark ” On Time” Nicholson.
9.- The Epitome of The Ballad- Composed by Ray Brown, from his “My Man Willie” Suite. Very reminiscent of a Stan Kenton style of instrumental ballads. It features Ella Steinberg, Steve Steinberg and the fine lead trumpet work of Randy Aviles.
10.- Softly As In A Morning Sunrise- Another great arrangement by Airmen of Note chief arranger, Alan Baylock, It shows off the superb talent of Gilbert Castellanos on trumpet (Clayton HamiltonBig Band, Diane Krall, etc.)
11.- When The Sun Comes Out- Great vocal arrangement by Tom Garling from Chicago, IL. featuring Janet Hammer and a smoking tenor sax solo by David Castel De Oro.
12.- Glory, Glory- Composed by the late Maynard Ferguson and Chris Braymen. A fitting way to end this CD. and a world premier recording too! Recently rediscovered and previously not recorded by Maynard prior to his death. Its with deep appreciation to The Estate of Maynard Ferguson for giving us the honor. It features the alto sax of Dick McGuane and one of the best lead trumpet players in the world today, MF alum, Wayne Bergeron. We dedicate in loving memory, Glory Glory, to the legacy of “The Boss” Maynard Ferguson.